Mailman - Mailing List Utility
Mailman for Virtual Server helps manage E-Mail discussion lists and provides
simple list management on the
Web. Mailman was written in Python, with some sections in C for security
purposes. Mailman features include support for the following:
- Various types of lists, including moderated ones
- Web-based list administration for most tasks including list configuration, moderation (post approvals), and user account management
- Integrated bounce detection within an extensible framework
- Automatic disposition of bouncing addresses (disable, unsubscribe)
- User configuration management, including Web-based subscribing and unsubscribing
- List options that can be easily set through a remotely editable configuration file
- Regular delivery, plain digests, and MIME digests
- Archival and remote retrieval of messages
- Integrated spam filtering and auto-replies
To install Mailman on your Virtual Server, connect via
Telnet or SSH
and do the following, according to your Virtual Server O/S.
FreeBSD & Solaris
Issue these commands:
% vinstall mailman
The rehash command relinks the wrapper scripts, such as the
newlist comand, and links any new commands that may have been installed.
If you want to change your administrative password, use the mmsitepass
% mmsitepass NEW-PASSWORD
Mailman is not available.
If you don't know the Virtual Server O/S, try the following:
To create a mailing list:
Type newlist at the command prompt.
- Type the name of the list.
- Type the email address of the administrator of the list.
- Type the initial mailing list name password.
The newlist command generates a list of E-Mail Aliases
that must be now added to the Virtual Server. These e-mail aliases must be added before
Mailman will function properly. You will receive
instructions at your administrator email address about how to access the
new list of e-mail aliases.
Start your Web browser. To access and administer your mailing
list, go to:
The Mailman screen appears.
Click your mailing list.
Type your password in the text box; then click Let Me In. The
mailing list General Options screen appears.
To ensure that you have current information about Mailman, subscribe to
one of the Mailman Mailing Lists.
Site Map | Contact Us!
Copyright © 1998-2001 Bright Builders, Inc. All rights reserved.
Last Modified: Wed Jun 6 16:56:59 2001 GMT
Page Built: Mon Jul 2 19:57:13 2001 GMT