vnews-setup - Newsgroup Management Utility
A command-line utility called vnews-setup is available that can
be used to manage Vnews newsgroups.
To use vnews-setup, first connect to your Virtual Server via
Telnet or SSH.
Once you have connected, enter the
following at the command-line.
Enter "A" to ADD a new newsgroup
Enter "D" to DELETE a newsgroup
Enter "I" for group information
Enter "L" for short list of all groups
Enter "M" to MODIFY a newsgroup
Enter 'Q' to Quit
A summary of vnews-setup commands follows.
Adding a Newsgroup
Type "A" to add a new newsgroup. There will be a list of
questions that follow.
- Newsgroup name - name of the newsgroup, such as "Test".
- Newsgroup path - where the newsgroup's database is stored, the default is
- Hostname - hostname of the Virtual Server such as domain.name
- IP address - IP address of the Virtual Server such as 188.8.131.52
- Expire time - time in hours; all posts older than this will expire such as (1) will
expire in 1 hour.
- Expire size - size in KB, when spool exceeds this size, then old posts are expired
as necessary to keep the spool the correct size.
- Newsgroup read only - this makes group read only, meaning users cannot post to
- Information correct - vnews-setup will verify information is correct before
creating the group.
To quit at any time, use
vnews-setup will create the database in the specified location with the specified
attributes. Users can access the newsgroup with the proper authentication.
Removing a Newsgroup
Type "D" to delete an existing newsgroup. You will be asked what group to delete
and if you are sure you want to delete this group. If you want to delete this newsgroup
type "Y" to continue deleting.
Viewing Newsgroup Information
Type "I" to view newsgroup information. You will be asked
the name of the newsgroup to display. Once you have entered the name of a newsgroup, the
information for that newsgroup will be displayed.
Type "L" to view a list of available newsgroups.
Modifying a Newsgroup
Type "M" to modify an existing newsgroup. The first question is the name of
the newsgroup you wish to modify, such as mycompany.announcement. Once you have
given the name of the newsgroup to modify, the following questions are the same as those
asked when adding a newsgroup.
To quit vnews-setup, type "Q" and you will be returned back to the command line.
Site Map | Contact Us!
Copyright © 1998-2001 Bright Builders, Inc. All rights reserved.
Last Modified: Tue Aug 22 00:51:58 2000 GMT
Page Built: Mon Jul 2 19:57:27 2001 GMT